Welcome to Year 1
Year 1 staff
- Class 4 teacher – Mrs Goode
- Class 5 teachers – Mrs Dore and Mrs Brown
- Class 6 teacher – Miss Westall
- Mrs Jervis - Higher Level Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Smith - Higher Level Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Gorst – Teaching Assistant
Year 1 has three classes with a maximum of 90 children in the year group. In the autumn term year 1 follows a curriculum very similar to reception’s to allow the children time to get used to different classes. Their learning will be partly based on a planned play environment which gradually moves to more instances of “formal” lessons.
The year 1 children have three big topics a year, each covering two terms. The Autumn term topic is called Whizz, Woosh, Zoom. The Spring term topic is called Fairytales and castles. The Summer term topic is called Explorers.
We believe in creating exciting and stimulating learning experiences for the children and often start topics with a “wow” day and end with a year group event. We also use drama regularly to engage the children in their learning
This is what parents have said about a recent exhibition of the children’s work;
“Lovely to see the children’s hard work, a fantastic effort by all the children.”
“They have all worked so hard, thank you to the teachers.”
“I am very pleased with how my daughter is doing at school, thank you.”
Year 1 November Update
Year 1 have been working very hard this year!
We have loved our Space theme this term and have been learning lots about Neil Armstrong and all the different planets.
We started off with our Alien WOW day and have had a marvellous middle when the planetarium came to visit. The children learnt lots about space and produced some lovely fact writing linked to this.
We have recently been looking at instruction writing and have produced some fantastic instruction writing for making rockets, rock cakes and aliens.
In Maths we have been working on addition and subtraction using different methods such as picture stories, numberlines and objects. We have also been learning about place value and positional language.
In RE we have been learning about Christianity and have found out lots about the church. We went for a visit to the church where Father Tom talked to the children about the different parts of the church and how they are used.
In Science we have been learning about materials and their properties and have been carrying out experiments. We have also started learning about the seasons and are looking at the changes from Autumn to Winter.
We will soon be busy practising for our Christmas performance ‘Lights, Camel, Action’ and cannot wait to perform it!
Year 1 Posts
Year 1 Newsletters
- Wed, 24 Apr 2019 : Phonics (Corrected Date)
- Wed, 24 Apr 2019 : Phonics
- Tue, 12 Mar 2019 : May Day Celebrations
- Tue, 05 Feb 2019 : Lovefood Spring Menu UPDATED
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 : Year 1 PE Spring
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 : Year 1 Spring Topic Letter
- Mon, 14 Jan 2019 : NMPAT Music and Performing Arts
- Thu, 10 Jan 2019 : Year 1 WOW Day Reminder
- Wed, 17 Oct 2018 : Sarah Mills Remembrance Cup
- Wed, 12 Sep 2018 : Year 1 PE