Welcome to Year 2
Year 2 staff
- Class 7 teacher – Mrs Smith
- Class 8 teachers – Miss Tayabji and Mrs Clarke
- Class 9 teacher – Mrs Holroyd (Year group leader)
- Mrs Watts – Higher Level Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Eady - Higher Level Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Shafe – Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Cox – Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Wheatley - Teaching Assistant
Year 2 has three classes with a maximum of 90 children in the year group. The year 2 children have three big topics a year, each covering two terms. The Autumn term topic is called Narnia. The Spring term topic is called Wonderful world. The Summer term topic is called Lion King. For the past couple of years year 2 children have had the opportunity to go to watch the stage play of the Lion King in London in the Summer term.
We believe in creating exciting and stimulating learning experiences for the children and often start topics with a “wow” day and end with a year group event. We also use drama regularly to engage the children in their learning.
Comments from parents at the end of the year have included:
“I will miss not bringing my daughter to this school. All my girls have made great progress with you. The end of an era.”
“Thank you for all the hard work you have done this year.”
“My son has had a fantastic year in year 2 and come on so well. He loved the Lion King trip.”
Year 2 Autumn Update
Year 2 have had a busy term so far.
We are well on the way with our Narnia topic which so far has included some drama where we have pretended we were being evacuated into the countryside.
We have made our own Narnia wardrobes and imagined what it would be like to go to Narnia ourselves.
We have written accounts of parts of the story and then written our own version.
Maths has built upon what we had learned in year 1 and moving on to some investigations and challenges which made us think even harder. Much of this has been understanding the tens and units in 2 digit numbers and then working with these numbers in additions and subtractions. The next challenge will be to use our timestables.
Our home-made apple crumble went down a storm at the Harvest Festival Sale and the money raised contributed to some of the resources we will use throughout the rest of the year.
We are learning about keeping ourselves healthy in Science including why we need to exercise.
As part of our History work we will consider the importance of Remembrance Day and pay a visit to the War memorial in Higham.
We will soon be busy practising for our Christmas performance ‘Lights, Camel, Action’ – it will all be upon us sooner than we think!
Year 2 Posts
Year 2 Newsletters
- Thu, 04 Apr 2019 : Year 2 African WOW Day
- Tue, 19 Mar 2019 : New Class 7 Teacher
- Tue, 19 Mar 2019 : Mrs Holroyd
- Tue, 12 Mar 2019 : May Day Celebrations
- Tue, 05 Feb 2019 : Lovefood Spring Menu UPDATED
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 : Year2 PE Spring
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 : Year 2 Spring Curriculum Topic Letter
- Mon, 14 Jan 2019 : NMPAT Music and Performing Arts
- Wed, 17 Oct 2018 : Sarah Mills Remembrance Cup
- Fri, 14 Sep 2018 : Year 2 Homework
- Wed, 12 Sep 2018 : Year 2 PE