Welcome to Year 2
Year 2 staff
- Class 7 teacher – Mrs Smith
- Class 8 teacher – Mrs Goode
- Class 9 teacher – Mrs Holroyd (Year group leader)
- Mrs Watts – Higher Level Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Shafe – Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Cox – Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Mills – Teaching Assistant
- Miss Kirkup - Teaching Assistant
Year 2 has three classes with a maximum of 90 children in the year group. The year 2 children have three big topics a year, each covering two terms. The Autumn term topic is called Narnia. The Spring term topic is called Wonderful world. The Summer term topic is called Lion King. For the past couple of years year 2 children have had the opportunity to go to watch the stage play of the Lion King in London in the Summer term.
We believe in creating exciting and stimulating learning experiences for the children and often start topics with a “wow” day and end with a year group event. We also use drama regularly to engage the children in their learning.
Comments from parents at the end of the year have included:
“I will miss not bringing my daughter to this school. All my girls have made great progress with you. The end of an era.”
“Thank you for all the hard work you have done this year.”
“My son has had a fantastic year in year 2 and come on so well. He loved the Lion King trip.”
Year 2 May Update
Please see our gallery below!
This term, our homework project was to make our very own landmark. We put these together with our writing, art and history to make an exhibition of our work. Our families and friends were really proud of how hard we had been working!
Tom the tale teller
We had a visit from Tom the Tale teller who told us stories using puppets and his story stick. We listened to his stories in assembly and then he came to visit our classes. He really inspired us to use our imagination, so we did some great writing which told our own version of ‘The Rabbit who lost its tail’.
We have been practising our reading skills all year this year. We have read to our teachers, teaching assistants and even to each other so that we can tell our friends all about the books that we have been reading. This helps us to build our imagination, reading fluency and understanding what we are reading.
Next Term, we are looking forward to…
Next term we are excited to learn about the Lion King in English, especially as we get to go and see the show in London!
We will also be learning about Kenya in Geography and how it is different to England.
In science, we will learn all about animals. We will classify them, learn about variation between animal groups and how habitats are suitable for different animals.
In history, we are going to learn all about the life of Nelson Mandela so that we can create our very own information booklet about his life and the things he did to help people.
Year 2 Posts
Year 2 Newsletters
- Wed, 17 Oct 2018 : Sarah Mills Remembrance Cup
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 : Lovefood Menu
- Wed, 10 Oct 2018 : Love Food Letter
- Thu, 27 Sep 2018 : Junior School Open Morning
- Mon, 24 Sep 2018 : YR 2 Topic Letter
- Fri, 21 Sep 2018 : Spellings
- Tue, 18 Sep 2018 : How to apply for a Junior School place
- Fri, 14 Sep 2018 : Year 2 Homework
- Thu, 13 Sep 2018 : Year 2 Lion King Reminder
- Wed, 12 Sep 2018 : Year 2 Narnia Wardrobes
- Wed, 12 Sep 2018 : Year 2 PE
- Tue, 11 Sep 2018 : School Council Elections
- Fri, 07 Sep 2018 : Year 2 Narnia Film